Sunday, March 12, 2006

The Next Boat


I took the bus up to Puerto Vallarta to meet Dave and see his boat, La Vie. He was looking for crew to the South Pacific. Every skipper says they have a great boat. Dave really does. He has done a spectacular job refitting it… I won’t bore you with the details. Here he is in the galley -- the only skipper down here I’ve met who is under 40. Bonus.

The only thing keeping me from joining him was a lack of a watermaker. La Vie doesn’t have quite enough water tank capacity for a crew of four. But, maybe I’ll fly out to Tahiti or New Zealand to crew for him for a while…

Since that didn’t work out, I took the bus down to Acapulco (12 hours) to meet Sumatra, with skipper Jerry. I hadn’t met Jerry. But I had checked out Sumatra and met one of his crew, Audrey, over Christmas in Puerto Vallarta. The boat, a Trintella 53, is HUGE and comfortable inside, and there were two crew cabins and a separate head for the crew. Very appealing. Jerry is a doctor, so I assumed he wouldn‘t be pinched for money quite as tightly as Floyd had been.

Remember that phrase from spelling class: when you "assume" you make an "ass" out of "u" and "me". Maybe that wasn´t from spelling class... at any rate, it applied to the assumption I made that Sumatra would be a fine boat. Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home