Sunday, July 06, 2008

Trilingual

These Belgians keep talking to us in gibberish (I think they call it Flemmish), I guess the bikes make us look more local... Or no one ever visits from the US. We've seen some Ausies, but no other Americans.
But I digress... What is really cool is that if you indicate you only speak English, they say it again in English without missing a beat. This goes for questions about the time to drunken shouts as we ride past. Highly amusing. At least to me.
Our waiter in Brugge, who took a liking to Carrie after she overtipped the first night, starts by asking which of four languages we'd like to order in: Flemmish, German, French, or English. I think the Spanish people next to us had a bit of a hard time, but, hey, when someone's presented you with four options, the least you could do is struggle along in one of them.
This was also the restaurant where we discovered apple gin. Sounds weird, but it is delicious. Belgium is famous for gin, so this was in the name of cultural research. So was the ordering of the delicious spare ribs.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

1 Comments:

Blogger Susie said...

Hey Em,

I chanced upon your Trilingual page. What amazing adventures. You still look as happy as ever. It was especially neat to read, because I could easily tell it was your writing by you mannerisms and little jokes. It's was as good as a DNA sample to prove it was you. I have no idea where you are at the momment but I wish you happy travels.

Your Friend,

Chris Odom

PS I didn't go far. I still live in the same neighborhood. I can see my parrents old house from my upstairs window. :)

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home