The Emerald City

Ok, I'm not sure that's actually Vancouver's nickname, but it should be. It is a gorgeous city to approach from the water. On our last day of sailing, we finally put up the mainsail and did some REAL SAILING! Sailed past Stanley Park, a great thousand-acres park between the water and the downtown, home to an aquarium, bike trails, mini-trains, and all those other things that urban parks are supposed to have. Then passed under the Lion's Gate Bridge to the Coal Harbor Marina.

The bumpy transition back to civilization was made easier by the finer things cities have to offer, including sushi and Shakespeare. Mike and I caught the Bard on the Beach production of "As You Like It". It took Mike nudging me through most of the first act to quiet my giggles at the costumes... all the men had codpieces. Intersting creative decision. Went out to the University the next day and checked out the much-acclaimed museum of native culture. The totem which depicted a halibut swallowing a man made me wonder if I misunderstood the my place in the food chain relative to that particular fish. In general, I found the museum rather annoying, as it did not provide answers to questions such as, "What the heck is this?!" It did however have many little signs asking the dopes that paid to get in to please stay out of the display areas. 
The last night in Vancouver was spent over a fine dinner and a rousing game of "Oh Heck!" I'm happy to report I dominated all three Korys in this last game. HA!
All in all, a fine trip with a fine bunch of folks. I wish we had been able to do some more sailing, but given my inability to help out with pulling on lines, it's probably just as well. The amazing scenery made the damp turns of the weather tolerable, and I would definitely return to that part of the world again -- next time with a fishing pole, a crab pot, and a looser itinerary.

1 Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Post a Comment
<< Home